Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday / Shrove Tuesday

Mardi Gras. It’s the day before Lent when everybody goes on one last binge before starting the fast. There are floats, feathers and beads … drinking, dancing and singing … reveling, rioting and debauchery.

Not really my scene. Until I heard about …



... Shrove Tuesday. This is a version of Mardi Gras popular in Ireland and the United Kingdom, and it’s celebrated by eating pancakes. In fact, it is often just called Pancake Day. PANCAKE DAY!! Now that’s a holiday that I can get behind. In honor of this auspicious occasion, IHOP is serving free all you can eat pancakes until close. Wa-hoo! So after school, it was dinner time.

My mom and I waited 30 minutes for a table. No problem though. I graded papers while she gabbed with strangers. Soon enough we were seated and got right down to the pancakes – along with a side of bacon, milk and “pure squeezed” orange juice.


The pancakes went quickly. Burp.



On the way out, we ran into Triniti and company who were also out celebrating.

Happy Pancake Day!


Total Cost: $5 for the bacon and beverages.

No comments: