Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mission Day

Last Friday was “Mission Day” for the faculty and staff at school. This is a day set aside every year for us to focus on the mission of the school. Sometimes this is done through classes, sometimes through lectures and sometimes through group discussion. But this year was different. This year they had us go out to one of ten charities and do service for a day. Some of the places we had to choose from were the Sojourner Truth House, Repairs of the Breach, St. Vincent DePaul, etc. You have probably already guessed that I went to Sojourner Truth House.

The Sojourner Truth House is a shelter for women and children who are victims of domestic violence. They have housing facilities as well as support and education programs for the women. For the children, there are on site activities and a day-care-type of service for those too young to go to school.

We (my coworkers and I) spent the better part of the day in the children’s area playing with four super cute kids. We read books, ate snacks, built block towers and danced to Miley Cyrus music. The kids were great – friendly, energetic, happy. One little boy had the greatest laugh – it was part laugh, part squeal of delight. One of the girls kept calling to me to see what she was doing – since she couldn’t remember my name, she would just say “hey you in the brown shirt ….”

I have to admit that I felt a little guilty. We had come to work but ended up playing the whole day. But then I realized – if we play with the children, then the ladies who usually play with them could get some other important projects done. That made me feel better. We were serving the people who serve others.

So, it was a great day. GREAT. I’m so glad that I work for an organization that values service so highly.

For more information on Sojourner Truth, and why it is so appropriate to have a women's shelter named for her, visit this website.

No comments: