Friday, May 8, 2009

Prayer in School

As most of you know, I teach at a Catholic School. Twice a day prayer is said over the loud speaker. (This could also be a scripture reading or inspirational poem or something like that.) I always like the reflections that are read, and since the ones giving the prayer/thought are faculty volunteers, I signed up – even though I’m not Catholic.


As some of you know, I have already been called upon to deliver the prayer/reflection twice, and both times it didn’t go so well. It’s not that I don’t know how to say a prayer or read a scripture, it’s just that I forget. I’m always standing in my classroom at the beginning of second hour thinking “oooo, someone forgot it was their turn” until I get a call telling me to get my butt down to the main office. These stories are good ones and I would be happy to share them with you, but here’s what happened today.


As none of you know, today my number was up again. Fortunately, I have known about this since Monday and have had a chance to prepare. I chose to read D&C 88:118-120. I love that scripture and how it talks about studying and learning (I’m a teacher to the core). I was ready. So, this morning I got to school, made some copies, ate my orange and chatted with the librarian. During first hour I gave a test, graded papers and answered homework questions. When the bell rang, I stood there blissfully waiting for my next class to come in – blissfully until the phone rang … I had forgotten AGAIN! Later one of my students said she knew it had been my turn for prayer when she saw me racing down the stairs. Sigh. At least I was prepared this time.


…Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High.

No comments: